L&P embodies one of the things I love the most about New Zealand. On one level it's a tasty bubbly "Lemon-ish" soft drink that we love to drink on most any refreshment occasion (well, apart from those hard work days where nothing will do but a nice glass of wine).
On another entirely different level, it's a beverage that used to embody the crazy can-do attitude of a local company with a grass roots mentality. Traditionally made by combining lemon juice with carbonated mineral water from the town of Paeroa, it's sadly now manufactured by multi-national Coca-Cola (cheers Wikipedia!). BUT it's still a loved Kiwana icon, and a mainstay of my childhood.
Then there's the giant bottle that's now a light-hearted tourist distraction. And no, I'm not joking. Perfect for selfies (two-fingered V sign option) the Lemon and Paeroa bottle has it's a kooky tourist attraction that joins the legions of breathtaking mountain ranges, sparking white sand beaches and enormous carrot and gumboot statues that make up our Tourist trail.
Anyone who knows a Kiwi will get that we're a lighthearted nation (and don't have furry feet fyi) and usually try not to take life too seriously - the one exception being Rugby, that's serious as bro - with a penchant for tasty treats and pies. Luckily a quick thinking business man supplies both behind the bottle in the center of town - a stop off for many coach companies escorting tourists up and down the island.
As its slogan says, the Hauraki Plains township of Paeroa is ‘in the middle of everywhere’, kinda equidistant from Auckland and Tauranga, and only moments from the the glorious Karangahake Gorge. It's well worth popping by if you're in the neighbourhood just for a laugh.
We stopped off for around 10 minutes on the way to Christmas with my Dad from Auckland - another wee moment of hometown tourism (I even blended into the crowds with my soft English accent. Talk about acting like a pro!)

And yes, I made my Englishman pose in front of it the last time we were in New Zealand, much to his bemused befuddlement. Well, when in Rome...

What's the closest thing to it in taste in England?
ReplyDeleteI love L&P! I'm so pleased that a lot of Aussie stores stock it now, because it's quite refreshing!
ReplyDeleteLove L&P - miss it so much!
ReplyDeleteNot just a giant carrot and gumboot, down south we have a giant trout, giant paua shell and a giant collection of fruit on sticks. We seem to love making weird things giant in NZ. It's our schtick.
ReplyDeleteI never tried L&P when I was in New Zealand. I feel like I have missed out!
ReplyDeleteNever even heard of it!?
ReplyDeleteYumm I love L and P as well. I always drink it when I feel a bit home sick!! x
ReplyDeleteJasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog
Some kiwi cafes sell it, especially in London! :) x
ReplyDeleteShhhhhh I wasn't mentioning them all so we wouldn't look like the crazies that we are...
ReplyDeleteThe next time we're out I'll take you to GBK - I guess maybe Fanta Lemon?
ReplyDeleteThe one single reason I can live in the UK ;)
ReplyDeleteIt is nice, isn't it? Quite a mellow, lovely flavour.
ReplyDeleteI have 3 words for you - Gourmet Burger Kitchen!!
ReplyDeleteIt's pretty darn tasty - and even tastier in Paeroa!
ReplyDeleteIt's yum - and word on the grapevine is that it's beginning to be sold in Aus too!
ReplyDeleteOh yeah - that and Montheiths Summer Ale. Expensive, but totally worth it!
ReplyDeleteYes please! :) xx
ReplyDeleteOMG really?!!! Just made my day!
ReplyDeleteHehehe, sorry, I tend to embrace the crazy. I spend most of my time running towards it with open arms. Anyway, the English are too busy drawing penises on hill sides to worry about an engorged trout ;D
ReplyDeleteI am going to have to try this! I haven't heard of it before! Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteWhere's the hot dog legs?!
ReplyDeleteI kid! Giant things are always a cool, and always require a photo!
Mmmm L&P - sweet deliciousness :)
ReplyDelete